Your brain is a powerful tool and the mindset you carry greatly affects you and those around you. Research has shown a link between optimism and increased immunity and longevity. Remaining positive during trying times can be an uphill battle, but we are never too old to try!
Here are some tips to help you stay positive.
- Stay connected to loved ones. Humans are, by nature, social animals and isolation breeds depression and pessimism.
- Surround yourself with positive people and kindness.
- Continue to contribute. Residents at Capri Senior Communities give back through vocational lifestyle activities in their communities. You can also volunteer with a group or cause near to your heart.
- Just say no to the naysayer in your head. Find a positive spin for the situation you are in.
- Find an outlet. Take time for reflection, journaling, or another creative outlet so you can be more in tune with yourself and better able to handle challenging situations.
Switching from a negative to a positive outlook takes effort and there is no quick fix. Take a step in the right direction by trying one of the tips above this month.
Remember, if you are feeling isolated or depressed we strongly recommend you contact your doctor or a crisis line.
Newsletter Article: Be a Super-Ager
Read the full September newsletter