Laughter & Aging: How to Make Sure the Joke Isn't On You!
We're sharing some wisdom on wit this month for September's Wit & Wisdom GROW lifestyle theme. Here are the top five reasons why laughter is good for you.
- It boosts your immune system by decreasing stress hormones and increasing antibodies.
- It may help you live longer. A Norwegian study found that those with a strong sense of humor outlived those who don't laugh as much.
- It burns calories. One study found 15 minutes of laughter could burn up to 40 calories depending on a person's weight and the intensity of the laughter.
- It's contagious (in a good way!). You're more likely to laugh around others than when you're alone, which is why many sitcoms use laugh tracks.
- It's free! There are no copays or deductibles for this medicine!
It's true, laughter really is the best medicine. This month, refill your laughter prescription. Whether it's sharing a good joke, watching your favorite comedy series, or getting together with others and just being silly, like Jean and Grace above from Village Pointe Commons, find ways to laugh every day.
Read the full September newsletter.